The Greatest Love Story Ever Written

I just realized I haven't posted a book-shelf recommendation lately, oops! Trust me, I have some great ones to catch you up on.
Of course, I had to break from recent memoirs to enjoy my favorite classic, Gone With the Wind. I try to read it every-other year to once again get swept away by the most beautiful writing I've ever experienced and emerce myself into a story that causes me to laugh, to cry, to cheer and to cringe all in one chapter. The first time I was 'forced' to read this gem was as a senior in high school when I took my most beloved class, 'Classic Novels' while attempting to avoid AP English at all costs. I've been hooked ever sense. It never gets old for me. Whenever I'm in a writing rut, I can pick this up and visualize what 'good' writing truly is to me. If you haven't experienced this love story, I encourage you to give it a try. It's old, it's classic, it's politically in-correct, it's a southern view of the civil war, it's so many things we run screaming in the opposite direction from today, but it's a story. It's well written. It's full of life, love and adventure and it's so worth losing yourself in the magnitude of the 'greatest love story ever told.'

In the midst of all that is going on in the US, and the impact of the global financial crisis that has set it's teeth into many, I find so many themes throughout this book written 80 years ago to eerily be the headlines of today. Some grant themselves pity and walk a living death, while others hike up their bootstraps and dust off their knees...I see this daily with friends, family, acquaintances...and I believe it's a choice everyone has, not a fate.

"...They were all busy, busy at something, working hard, working harder than they would have dreamed possible in the days before the war. They weren't doing what they wanted to do perhaps or what was easiest to do, or what they had been reared to do, but they were doing something. Times were too hard for men to be choosy. And if they were sorrowing for lost hopes, longing for lost ways of living, no one knew it but they. They were fighting a new war, a harder war than the one before. And they were caring about life again, caring with the same urgency and the same violence that animated them before the war had cut their lives in two."

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

jot a note!