Same Kind of Different as Me

The truth about it is, whether we is rich or poor or somethin in between, the earth ain't no final restin place. So in a a way, we is all homeless—just workin our way toward home. 
Denver Moore

I enjoy fiction. I have a hard time reading non-fiction as I'm so very busy with the day-to-day, when I do get time to read, I want to read for pleasure, to veg my brain out and be entertained. It makes me feel better about myself than if I were to do the same thing by watching television. I read to fuel my imagination and appreciate creative story. I read to become inspired in my own writing. I read to go into another world if only for a brief moment. Non-fiction makes me think too much. It's hard. Too many years at school, too many people telling me what I should think, too many spiritual books that completely misguide, too many awful books about self-help and all that junk. I just get bored and tired with non-fiction. 
So, I've found a happy medium. 
Memoirs.
An autobiography is too factual, I don't have time for that. Rather a memoir is like an autobiography, but with story, with memory and with feeling. I don't care that James Frey added a bit to make his memoir a bit more entertaining, if that's how he wants to remember it, that's fine with me. 'The Glass Castle' was an entertaining read, albeit predictable, as well as 'My Name is Asher Lev.' Although, I'm not sure the latter qualifies as a memoir, but it reads like one, so I'll keep it in this category. 
The latest book-shelf read has been 'Same Kind of Different as Me' by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. It's a super quick read, always a plus, and so very very good. It was hard to put down for me, and with all the rain we've been getting, I flew through it in a couple of days. It is a snapshot of what happens every single day. It is a very good picture of the homeless in America, the prejudice that still exists and the fact that yes, there still are good people out there and we don't have to all cry 'foul' on the world. Bad things happen. But so do good things! 
It has everything I love. I laughed, I cried, I  was angry, I was happy...all the reasons I have for spending time with a book were layered within the pages. (A bit embarrassing as I finished it in the gym while on a stationary bike, wiping away tears as I pretended they were sweat droplets.) It opened my eyes to a new world and it inspired me to do more, to be a better person. I'm excited to know of a sequel, although I will give the first a chance to sink in for a while.
If you're looking for a fireside paperback, or a morning bus coffee and kindle, this book fits the bill. 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

jot a note!